Thursday, June 12, 2008

The adventures of preschool!

We had a first today: Mommy volunteers at the boys school! It was more accurately Mommy and Aunnie.

Ayden and Mason are four days into summer preschool today. I really did not want to put the burden of my crazy boys on any sitter 4 days a week in the summer. With both of them being in carseats, not being able to sit still, and the blazing Texas heat, it prohibits many summer outings with babysitters. Therefore we opted to do summer preschool two days a week, a babysitter the other two, and Mimi each Friday.

Today at school was water day. When I first got the waiver for "water day" a panic came across me. I knew I would come across the day that the boys or their school would participate in a water day. When I took the form home, I hoped that water day referred to a splash park, or water fountain park, or even sprinklers and there was no actual water depth to where they were playing. Keep in mind we are talking 2 and up. These are not 6 yr olds, they are still wobbly little kids, that don't think before going.

The following week I inquired into this water day. We had the option to not allow our child to go participate in water day, but I didn't want to be THAT mom! I was informed that it was a small pool. It was a depth up to right below an adult's knee. I seriously panicked at this point. I know entirely to many horror stories of drownings and accidents in water. I don't care how deep...Water at any depth with 14 two year olds is a risk. It was not a risk my kids were taking without my watchful eye. Luckily on my way out the door, I saw a sign up for volunteers. You bet my name, followed by my sisters were the first two names on those lists. My theory- if work ever prevented me from participating in Thursday water days, Aunnie was going to be my eyes, the anal about water Mommy stand in.

We arrived at school this morning, with what seemed like our whole house. Two swim suits on the children, two children lathered in sunscreen, two towels, two ziplock baggies for the wet clothes, a new pair of shorts, diapers- Mason and underwear-Ayden. This was on top of the normal two backpacks, two lunches, 5 sippy cups, two lovey blankies, a handful of pacifiers-Mason and one nap mat. I feel like I am lugging 50 lbs of kid crap! Ayden gets dropped of first so Mason can witness how a big boy does it, a nice hug and kiss, and no tears! We go to Mason's class and he is glued to my leg. Not letting me get away without any guilt on his part. Aubrey and I decide to stay the 30 minutes until water time, instead of traumatizing my two year old with two departures in one day. Then comes the chaos. 14 two year olds. Enough said! It was entirely 100 times more work dressing and undressing 14 two year olds for water day than the actual swimming itself!

The kids had fun wading in the pool! The three year olds were much more daring and splashing than the two year olds! Aubrey and I were sweating when done, but all in all it was an eye opening fun experience. I have more admiration for the teachers in my children's lives than anyone I have come across! They have their hand's full and engage the kids in much more than any mom would dare on a regular basis!

And Mason only screamed for about 5 minutes when I finally had to leave him....

1 comment:

Aubrey said...

yay!! but seriously. if you intend to follow this, send out an email.
:-)